Monday, June 4, 2012

Month 9: December

December is one of my favorite months! It brings the end of a semester which is always crazy but when you get through it you get to go home and enjoy the best holiday...CHRISTMAS!

This is a classic picture of what this semester was like for me. Sister Kay's practicum kicked my butt! She is one of the only professors on campus that makes you plan and execute an entire unit in your classroom and also compile a teacher work sample to accompany it. This is something that you are required to do for student teaching and you have to present your work sample at the end to pass on to graduation so Sister Kay feels that this is good to practice before you are on your own in student teaching and I agree with her, but it wasn't an enjoyable experience. I worked on it the whole semester, but still I had to stay up in this position all night only getting a couple hours of sleep just to finish. The funny thing was that when I walked into class that next day to turn it in every one looked just as tired as me. After I turned mine into the box (the sample is that open black two inch binder that was overflowing by the time I was done) a friend, not knowing that one was mine, says, "Wow, it's overachievers like that that make me look bad." I had to tell her it was mine and I just bust up laughing!

Mrs. Larson and My Fourth Grade Class

I love these kids so much! We had some ups and downs this semester but I learned so much and I will miss them all like crazy! One of my favorite parts of this last day was the poem that they wrote and performed for me. So sweet! They are so talented. I received lots of sweet notes, gifts, and of course hugs. One of my boys who I thought hated me all semester gave me three huge hugs before he left. Made all the headaches worth it! 
One of the things I love most about kids is how honest they are. They always make me laugh with how real they keep things. Story...one of my students brought in a Christmas themed stuffed animal for me. I could tell it was a little used and I was flattered that she wanted to give me one of her toys. I noticed her going over to it several times during the day to play with it. I finally took her aside and told her how much I loved it and how thoughtful it was but it was too nice and that she could really keep it. I just cared that she thought of me. Her response: "Oh it's ok. My sister doesn't want it anymore anyway." Awesome!

CHRISTMAS
This year was a little crazy for us. This was our first year spending Christmas as a married couple which meant that we had a little going back and forth. We decided to spend Christmas Eve and morning with the Evans and the rest of Christmas with the Rudds. Next year we will switch and just see how it goes. I love having all my family close but it does make things a little tricky. 

One of my favorite traditions at Christmas...GINGERBREAD HOUSES. The Evans make them out of graham crackers and lots of candy! I have to say this is the most BOMB gingerbread house ever! I totally won even though there was no competition...to me there was. 
If you look closely at the counter next to me you can see the remnants of sugar cookie making, another one of my favorite Christmas traditions. I actually didn't take pictures....again a really stink!

Jeremy and his dad decided to go more for the modern art type creation. We support them...

This was my first year getting to open a present on Christmas Eve (an Evans tradition) of PJs. I was really excited about it! We went old school on our jammies...matching top and bottoms. Jeremy totally looked way mature!

Christmas Eve we decided to doorbell ditch some friends...long story and I think it was only funny late on Christmas Eve while we were all high on Christmas spirit. 

Let me explain this picture. In the Rudd family the tradition is that everybody opens one present at a time and we all watch them open it. Over the years this has kind of slacked but that was always one of my favorite things. I was also always in charge of passing out the presents so I was a lot more invested in what was in everyone's presents. This year at the Evans on Christmas morning I had prime seating in the center and I was still given the passer outer job. So I was in heaven just watching all the excitement....and clapping apparently...sometimes I just get lost in the world of Christmas morning. Also though...when you watch everybody else you are the one that is left with a whole lot of presents at the end to open while everybody watches you...it works out well. :)

"I'm an author!" (What movie?)
This is one of my favorite presents that I gave this year. There are only four copies of my book in existence. I own one, my professor requested a copy, and the two other people that I think would actually appreciate the book own one...my dad and Jeremy's dad. I was pretty selective in who I gave them to. :)

Another exciting thing for me was doing Jeremy's stocking this year and Santa presents. So new! I think I did a pretty good job. :) 

Jeremy and I Christmas morning
I love Christmas on Sunday because spending this holiday at church is such a good reminder of what it's really about. I love this holiday because it makes everybody happy. Thinking of our Saviors birth helps bring us together and remember what really matters in this life. In my family the first present under the tree is always the one wrapped in red paper with the picture of Christ on it. Jeremy's family meets together Christmas morning and write down the gifts that they are giving Christ this year. Each are such wonderful traditions that help us remember the true purpose for Christmas and will definitely be carried on to our family.

CHRISTMAS CARD PICTURES

Love, The Evans

3 comments:

Anie said...

I had to laugh when I saw that top pic- I knew exactly what you were doing before I even read anything. I remember many a night planning all sorts of science and ss units. I remember sitting on the floor, against the couch, with everything all spread out. I love it!!! NOw that those days are long over I can look back on them fondly! :) Loved the rest of your post too! Fun pics!

martyrudd said...

I just read all your posts!! So cute...loved them, but it made me miss you too much.

I also got a little teary eyed as I read about your classroom and saw the pic of your 4th grade class. I always wanted to be an elementary school teacher, but knowing you accomplished this awesome goal in your life is the next best thing!! You will be blessed forever for receiving your college degree.

I love you sooooo much!! xoxomama

Tisha said...

I think sam needs a book about "sam the scientist" by Karlee Evans :-) love the pics! xoxo