Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Sewing!

Since graduation I've had some more time on my hands. One of these particular uneventful days, I decided to work on some projects that I have been putting off for quite some time. So I busted out my sewing machine and went to town!

Project number one. Many people who have seen my jean drawer are shocked at how many pairs of jeans I own. (My mother will be proud to know that I have donated a few pairs to try and minimize my collection.) The reality is however, that I don't wear many of these jeans. Because of this...
I have short legs. Forever I would buy jeans and just cuff them (sooo cool) if they were too long. This caused these lovely holes. I decided to it was time to either get rid of them or make an effort to fix them. So I cut of the hideous bottoms and hemmed them. It was surprisingly easy. I even went as far as to turn one pair into skinny jeans. Pretty impressive I know. I also mended a hole in another pair of jeans. 

Then I had two skirts that needed work. I have this jean skirt that has a slit in it. It is a little too high to be modest so I simply sewed that up and it's as good as new. Then there is the cute charcoal pencil skirt. During student teaching, I carpooled with a girl to Ammon everyday. We took turns driving. One day I was in a particular hurry grabbing a million things to take with me. In my hurry to get in her car with all my things, I spread my legs a little wider than one should in a pencil skirt and....you guessed it. It ribbed up the back. Thankfully I was wearing tights and it was really early in the morning, and it happened while we were still in my parking lot. I had to run back and change. So that project took a quick mend and some fortification to hopefully prevent that from happening again. I'm pleased to report that it has held up so far. 

The last project was the pair of khakis that I was wearing the day I tripped and fell in the fall of 2009 resulting in this...
Obviously my pants got pretty messed up and holey khakis are tacky so I turned them into shorts! They actually turned out pretty cute. All in all, six sewing projects later, it was a very effective and crafty day.  

0 comments: