Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Leila Dawn: The Birth Story

It's time to finally document the day I became a mom. I don't know how to accurately describe this life changing event but I hope I can give a glimpse of that day for Leila to someday read and know what she means to me.

May 8th was my 39 week appointment. Like usual, I ate a bowl of cheerios for breakfast really quick and then headed over to Antioch. I was feeling great and was happy to hear her heart beating away. However, during my check with Dr. Wada, I started bleeding quite a bit. This concerned him so he decided we needed to do an ultrasound. I was really trying to keep it together as I had a minute alone to get dressed and head over to the ultrasound room. I decided right then that if anything was wrong at least I was in the right place to be taken care of. The ultra sound looked great and I even got my first glimpse of all her hair floating around. Even with this reassurance, Dr. Wada was still perplexed about the bleeding so he told me that he wasn't going to send me home. I was to head over to the hospital to have labor induced or to have an emergency c-section. This unexpected news had me a little freaked out and involuntary tears were shed, but I got it together and headed to the hospital. I immediately called Jeremy in the parking lot but of course only got his voice mail. I knew my mom would be about to go into work but I caught her just in time. I wanted to let her know since I didn't have any of my stuff with me. I told her to just go to work and call me after for an update. I had a feeling that we had time. I then called Dad Evans to see if he could get a hold of Jeremy.  Surprisingly I was very calm and collected as I went into the hospital. The whole check-in process took a lot of time and once that was over my sweet in-laws showed up to keep me company. I had also called my dad to give him an update. The next thing I knew all my siblings were trying desperately to get a hold of me. I was confused about how they all knew I was in labor and then I remembered that the Rudd family knows how to spread the word. My Daddy had gotten right on spreading the word (a little exaggerated I might add) to all the family. One less thing for me to do I guess! Jeremy finally arrived and his Dad left to finish his deliveries so that Jeremy could stay with me. I was so grateful for this!  Dr. Wada came to check me at 12:30 and I was still at 0 cm so we started Pitocin at 1pm. My dad arrived shorty after followed by my mom.

The worst part of the day was that I was on a strictly fluid diet. NO FOOD! I was kicking myself for not eating more for breakfast! The nurses were sweet and tried to get creative with fun drinks for me. Unfortunately with my crazy bad heartburn, the more fluids I have the more burning I have. So I couldn't really enjoy them and had to keep myself upright as much as possible.

Over the next few hours we all just hung out and I was doing all that I could to get labor going. I did a lot of the birthing ball and tried to stay out of the bed by walking around or whatever. The family left for a little since nothing was really happening and Jeremy and I watched "Miracle". We tried to sleep but that wasn't' happening so we went for a walk. Baby girl wasn't cooperating with the monitor so we had to stop. The parents were in and out as the day progressed. At 5pm my sweet nurse checked me and thought I was at a 2 or a 3. I was ecstatic! However when Dr. Wada came at 8:30 to check me he said there was no dilation! Dang it! He told all the parents to leave because nothing was going to be happening anytime soon.

With everyone gone and night approaching, I decided to take advantage of the sweet jetted bathtub. I love a good bathtub! It was really relaxing and I was hoping that it would help me fall asleep.  But I was out of luck. Neither Jeremy (on his window seat) nor I could fall asleep. I was able to get some Ambien to help but that didn't really help. I had crazy dreams about food in my bed (pizza and licorice I think...obviously I was hungry!) and my contractions were getting so bad that they kept me awake. The nurses actually had to decrease my Pitocin level in the night because my contractions were so strong and frequent but not progressive. By morning I had maybe a total of 2 hours of sleep but I had dilated to a 4. Woohoo!

At 7, Steve (the anesthesiologist) came in to talk about the epidural. We weren't sure when to get it because I didn't want to be down in bed for longer than I had to. We decided to wait for Dr. Wada to break my water first and then I was going to get it. So Steve went in for a c-section and we waited for Dr. Wada. He came at 8, checked me and said I was at a 4-5. He could have broken my water but said that if I wanted the epidural I should get it before he did. Dang it! Now we had to wait another hour for the other anesthesiologist to get there. Ugh! She came at 9 and I received it at 9:30. AMAZING! I couldn't even feel the contractions and was even able to nap for an hour. Dr. Wada wasn't able to come back to break my water until 11:30. Soon after I started feeling strong contractions and my whole right side was numb from the epidural. The anesthesiologist was now in a c-section and wouldn't be able to be there for a bit. I was feeling like a baby and then I started throwing up. That turned in to dry heaves really quick since I had nothing but fluids on my stomach. Serena thought we should check to see how far dilated I was. It was the biggest relief when she said, "Wow! You are fully dilated! Let's start pushing." I was glad I had a reason to be in so much pain. The anesthesiologist wasn't there yet and Dr. Wada was also in the c-section but Serena talked me through it all. (She walked out of the room in the very beginning and a contraction came. My mom was telling me to push and I just kept saying I couldn't do it without Serena.:) My Dad had left on business that morning and Dad Evans had walked out when I was getting checked to give me some privacy. With the pushing coming on so quickly both moms stayed one on each leg with Jeremy holding my hand and upper body. Pushing last an hour and a half. I did get a little more epidural. Dr. Wade dropped in every so often but didn't stay until the very end when it was time to deliver. I was able to talk and laugh and joke in between contractions until I got too exhausted. (I said that to every the last half hour that I was just too tired to be funny. Ha!) Mom was counting and pushing which was just making me laugh. I had to tell her to stop. I had to concentrate really hard and focus during contractions to get a good push. Finally Dr. Wada was telling me to only push when he said and follow his directions. The next thing I knew he was telling me to look down as he pulled Leila out and held her to show me. I couldn't believe it! I burst into tears as did Jeremy. Dr. Wada asked where the cameras were and the moms started snapping pictures like crazy as Jer and I cried looking at our baby girl.

After letting out her first crying she snuggled right into my chest and immediately stuck her thumb in her mouth. Jeremy cut the umbilical cord and then we just basked in the amazingness of this absolutely perfect baby girl in our arms. I didn't expect it but this was such a spiritual experience. It's true that you never really understand the love a parent has for their children until you have one of your own. Having a glimpse of the love that Heavenly Father has for His children was just absolutely indescribable. I love this little girl more than words can express and am so grateful she chose me to be her Mama!
Becoming a Mom
Becoming a Dad
I love that we caught Jeremy's expressions in these two pictures
Becoming Parents

First glimpses of Leila Dawn
A little immodest of mama but had to show off all that dark curly hair!

So grateful for these amazing people. Couldn't have brought this baby into the world without them.


The official introduction:
Leila Dawn Evans
7lbs 12.6oz
20 1/4 inches

I couldn't be happier with this new addition to our family. Our family feels complete...for now. :)


1 comments:

Jessica said...

so sweet. love your little family! And thank goodness for epidurals! Heaven.