Wednesday, August 27, 2008

top 5 things i love about PROVO

1. The mountains...i think this is the thing that i miss the most about provo. every morning i would look out my window and see these beautiful mountains, and i couldnt help but think about what the pioneers must have been thinking when they first saw those mountains. i would never describe provo as an exotic place, but i could definately say that those mountains are the most majestic things i have ever seen. when i came home the first thing i noticed was how short brentwood is without all the mountains that i have now become accustomed to.

this was my first look at the mountains. unfortuately i didn't take any other pictures of them on my camera :(

2. the bus... not having a car and living quite aways from campus was a bit of a struggle. lucky for me i was able to purchase a cheap bus pass and the bus came directly to rain tree. i road the bus anywhere from 2-4 times a day and let me tell you, it changed my opinion of provo. seriously the missionaries should just ride the bus all day and they would find plenty of people to talk to. there were some nuts people. everybody from slutty girls with tongue rings trying to pick up on the 50something year old bus drivers to crazy ladies abnoxiously complainly about the mix up of her pizza. honestly i felt closer to california on the bus then anywhere else.


sorry, no pictures of all the crazies on the bus :(

3. churches...EVERYWHERE. i had always heard people make fun of provo and how there is a church on every corner, but i can top that. my first sunday i was so confused. there was one big parking lot with 2 big churches right next to eachother. one for singles and one for married couples. i totally started to laugh as i realized that i was defintely in provo. then i went into the church that was designated for singles and realized that there were 2 chaples inside each of the buildings. a north chaple and a south chaple. this definately takes the provo stereotype to the extreme.

this is kind of a bad picture but you can get the idea

4. prayer in the testing center...a picture of this moment would have been priceless but probably inappropriate. on my last day in provo, as a sat in the testing center taking my last final, this guy walked in, sat down, and totally started to pray. i just looked at him and at first was so surprised and then i just started to smile. that was definately a highlight of my summer!

5. engagement pictures on the fridge...this is when i knew i was living in a true singles ward. within the two months that i lived in provo, i had already gotten 2 wedding announcements for people that i actually knew. of course they went on the fridge.

the time that i lived in provo was short, but i will dearly miss it and wouldnt change anything about it.

7 comments:

Anie said...

WOW!!!!!! WAY TO GO KARLEE!!! What the blogger you have become. Hopefully this isn't just because you're at home and have time to blog! :) I expect great bogging like this to continue even after you head off to school! SO, I do have to apologize about posting pics of you on my blog before asking first. SORRY!! You are SO BEAUTIFUL though!! I don't think it's possible for you to look bad in a picture! I debated on putting all those pictures of everyone at the end. Spencer thought it was too long! Anyway, just wanted good documentation of the week! I MISS YOU!!! I really want to fly you out here sometime this year. I wish I had money for that kinda of stuff. Anyway, keep up the great blogging!! :) Love you!

martyrudd said...

Karlee--Yes, you are really an awesome blogger!! Keep up the good work. We all love hearing about your life and can't wait to hear about BYUIDAHO. xxoxoMOM

Clark said...

5 reasons I love Provo:

Wait, I can't think of one ! J/K

We miss not having you here. It is a non stop constant party here now. Have fun on your way up to Idaho. We'll see you in a couple months. Love you

Jen said...

YES! I miss those mountains too! They are one of the best things about Provo! I seriously can't wait to have you here! We are gonna have so much fun! (OH yeah, I supposed I do need to let you get some studying in!) I love you bunches! Thanks for the fun blogs!

The Hansen Family said...

You can't pray on a test...that's cheating!

Chuckleheads said...

Looks like you had fun...I think the bus crazies are there to keep BYU kids humble. Oh and the wedding announcements will keep coming for like the next 10 years. Expect about 2 per month. :)

Anie said...

Oh..... I don't think I mentioned how much I love this post! The mountains were always definitely one of my top favorite things about Provo (and Utah in general). I can't say that I ever experienced bus riding though. Man did I miss out!! I was totally laughing at your descriptions of it! I do remember the prayers though- in class and in the testing center! They never seemed to keep me from failing all the tests that I did though. Ya, I guess I should have studied a little harder! Great things to document! These are the types of things you'll want to remember. So, when do you drive up to Rexburg?!? Miss you and LOVE YOU!!!