Friday, December 7, 2012

4th of July Celebrations

We started off this independence day by joining in on the Rexburg Parade. My practicum teacher, Mrs. Larson, asked if we would help pass out otter pops for her husband's campaign float in the parade. I love parades and Mrs. Larson so saying yes was a no brainer. So jeremy and I dressed in our red, white, and blue, stuck on our "Elect Larry Larson" badges and headed to downtown. This picture was taken before the parade began.
Unfortunately I misunderstood which park we were starting at and which we were finishing at so of course we park and the finish line and have to run through crowds of people to the opposite side of town. We made it just in time to help put together some flyers and get some instructions before the parade began. Now being in leadership for the four years of high school, I have done the whole parade things before. I don't know if the participants of this parade were given the memo that it's supposed to be a slow moving kind of thing. Not only were we having to run to keep up with the float, but the once those kids saw the otter pops they turned into animals! We were being attacked from all sides, otter pops were exploding, juices going everywhere. It was crazy! But we made it to the end and honestly had a blast! We were sweaty and tired and beyond grateful for our original mistake of parking at the end of the parade so we could get a quick get away. 

Having the day off from school, and being hot and sweaty could only mean one thing....slip and slide. We have a little hill in our back yard and figured our ginormous tarp would do. So we invited Ty over and had a blast for the afternoon.

Of course the boys had to bring out the good ole "Snow Boogie" to do some tricks on. Most of the attempts were a complete fail so this was all I captured of there efforts.

After being outside we were ready for some grub. Tyler's friend Kelsey came over for an early dinner of burgers, watermelon, our traditional 4th of July jello and lots of desserts!
Dessert one: White chocolate dipped strawberries tipped with blue sprinkles.. (Thanks Pinterest!)
Dessert Two: Cake Pops (My first time making them from my awesome cake pop maker that Roxy got me...love it!!! Still figuring out the frosting but we had a lot of fun with it.
Dessert Three: Cake from the left over batter that I was too lazy to use on the cake pops. Kelsey did a great job decorating it!!!
Dessert Four: Kelsey also brought over some delicious German chocolate cupcakes but didn't get a picture.

While Kelsey and I decorated all the desserts, the boys spent time resting from the labors of their day.

We ended the day by heading over to Idaho Falls for the annual Melaluca fireworks show. We debated going this year since we went last year and it's kind of a zoo but it was so worth it! I forgot how amazing it is ("best firework show this side of the Mississippi" is what they say) and they added a ton of stuff this year so it was even better than last year. Wish I would have gotten pictures and a better picture of Jer and I but I guess I was too busy enjoying the celebrations!

0 comments: