Tuesday, April 14, 2015

First Family Camping Trip

Jeremy has been begging to take a family camping trip FOREVER! We both really love to camp but when it comes down to it, camping with a baby/toddler does not sound appealing to me at all. I always think worst case scenarios and Jeremy is definitely the more positive one of the two. So it's definitely been me putting it off. However we agreed to try a short camping trip to Carolina Beach now that Leila is one and can hopefully handle it a little better. The reality of the trip fell somewhere in between mine and Jeremy's expectations. It really was a ton of fun, but it was also camping with a toddler...a little unpredictable. 

When we got to the campsite it really was perfect. I loved the one that Jeremy chose: perfectly tucked away. However, as soon as we stepped outside we realized just how hot it was. We set up our tent and campsite (one of my favorite parts of camping) and then went out on a hike. There was some cool trails but after awhile it was just too hot so we headed back. It was getting close to dinner time so we started the fire and put on the foil dinners (another one of my favorite parts of camping) I had also found this super fun dessert on Pinterest that we tried out: banana boats...so DELICIOUS. After dinner we hung out and then watched a movie in the tent and after it got dark we put Leila down for bed in her pack-n-play in the tent. Surprisingly she went to sleep so Jeremy and I just hung outside and read Harry Potter and talked. 
The night brought on a whole other side of the trip. I expected it to cool off once the sun went down but it never did. We were all overheating stuck in that tent but there wasn't much to do. So we were all sleeping in as little clothes as possible. Eventually I had to go to the bathroom (my least favorite part of camping) which meant I had to go trekking out in the dark by myself to I find these bathrooms where I was afraid someone was waiting to kill me or something was waiting to eat me. I made it thankfully but soon after Leila woke up. We couldn't let her cry for fear of waking up our neighbors but I couldn't really get her back to sleep. We tried having her sleep with us but she just wanted to play around. Plus having anyone snuggle me was torture because our skin was just sticking together. Finally we got her back to sleep but we didn't sleep much. Early the next morning we were all ready to get to the beach and cool off. 
It was nice to be so close and it was the perfect morning at the beach. I think it healed us all. Once it really started heating up we headed back and within seconds Leila was asleep. We were all pretty worn out so we packed up and headed home. 
It was a short trip and like so many of our adventures it wasn't perfect but provided some awesome memories. I think it will be a little while before we try it again though. 

0 comments: