Saturday, April 11, 2015

Leila's 1st Birthday Party

I debated about whether or not to throw Leila a birthday party for her first birthday for a long while. When it came down to it though I just couldn't resist a good celebration. The guest list expanded quickly once I started writing down all the people that love Leila and would love to celebrate her. I knew it was going to be big so we bought a bunch of meat for a cookout up on the hill at Baity Hill, I made a bunch of sugar cookies and cupcakes, and then had people bring a bunch of different sides to share. It ended up working out perfect! We chose to do it the weekend after her actual birthday since we had been in Florida the weekend of her birthday. The weather couldn't have been nicer and it was great to just keep it a laid back celebration for our little girl (and us for making it as parents for a year!)
With the millions of things I was thinking about the day of, I didn't take pictures of anything at the party. I didn't do much decorations except a cute little "clothes line" of her monthly pictures which turned out adorable. I took this picture after channeling my inner Mom Rudd and frosting dozens of pink sugar cookies the night before.
I was also pretty adamant about making a cool cake for her to smash into. I have wanted to make this rainbow cake covered in sprinkles forever and was pretty happy with the way it turned out!
Mom and Dad with the birthday girl.
(Jeremy did all the grilling with some help from one our friends. So thankful to them both!)
Me and my girl!

When it came time to sing to Leila and give her her cake, she was pretty confused. I don't think she knew what to do with all the attention and then a big cake just being handed to her. (She hadn't really had any sweets up until this point.) She stared at it for awhile before trying one sprinkle and then got the hang of it with some help from Daddy. 
Here are the results:
I wish I would have gotten a huge picture of everyone that was able to come to the party. It really was so awesome to have so many friends and family to celebrate with us. Our sweet DPT friends did however capture a group picture. I loved having all of them there! 
We said no presents but one of Jeremy's classmates got Leila this adorable UNC rubber duck. She was in heaven!
Although the first birthday was a little more anticlimactic than I expected, I loved celebrating our little one year old! We love you Leila!

0 comments: